Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Gift

"I can only note that the past is beautiful because one never realises an emotion at the time. It expands later, and thus we don't have complete emotions about the present, only about the past. "




"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end."

-----------------------------------------

All quotations, Virginia Woolf.


Image courtesy of Bats and Swallows, where many more hauntingly beautiful photos may be found. Highly recommend you have a look.

4 comments:

redgrevillea said...

life is a luminous halo

I'm very fond of that line, and that full quote, and I believe that to be true. This is where I endeavour to live my life from as much as I can, from that place of incandescence and luminosity that is always present, or omnipresent.

Anonymous said...

me too...

and over the years I've come to know, very intimately, how that place of incandescence is both light and dark, and how the shadowy parts, the slow burning murky undercurrents, the churning waters of my mind and soul, all feed the interior light as well as the sparkle upon the surface that can appear so bright at times as to be blinding!

getting her luminous 'halo' on...

am

smoore said...

LOVE that bats and swallows site- incredible imagery! nicely paired with the virginia quotes, i might add...

Anonymous said...

her work is so charming, profound, haunting... all sorts of things. I love that. I love that it's so textural...